As stated in Chapter 6 of our text, reciprocal teaching is an instructional approach for teaching student’s cognitive strategies to improve reading comprehension. This model of teaching is based heavily on the social learning theories of Lev Vygotsky and Albert Bandura who emphasize the importance of teacher-student interactions in the learning process. One of the Common Core English Language Arts College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Reading states the following:
“Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.”
- Boyles, N. (2013). Closing in on close reading. Educational leadership, 70(4). 36-41. Retrieved fromhttp://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/dec12/vol70/num04/Closing-in-on-Close-Reading.aspx
- wetalearningmedia. (2008, May 19th). Watch & learn: text comprehension. [Video file].Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnwBVrJVdY
For this discussion:
- Read the Closing in on close reading article about this idea of “close reading” as part of the CCSS initiative.
- Watch the video Watch & learn: text comprehension and discuss how the students assume responsibility for helping one another learn.
- Finally, explain how reciprocal teaching helps students comprehend what they read more deeply and how it also reflects this idea of “close reading” as described by the Common Core Standard. Which educational psychology theory or theories does reciprocal teaching employ?
Now let’s take a look at the Week 3 Discussion 2 assignment. Use my tips below, the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric, and my comments on your Week 2 Discussion posts to help you successfully complete this assignment.
For this discussion post:
· Discuss how students assume responsibility for helping each other learn during reciprocal teaching
· Explain how reciprocal teaching helps students better understand what they read
· Explain how reciprocal teaching relates to the idea of close reading used in the Common Core Standard quoted in the prompt
· State which educational psychology theories reciprocal teaching draws from and explain why you think these theories are used in reciprocal teaching
Also, I have provided a document template to help you as you complete this discussion post. You can find it by clicking the Doc Sharing button in the upper right of this course. You should be able to download the template.