Culture clearly has strong effects on mental disorders. How does this influence what you think about what is normal or abnormal? The German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche thought that society itself might be neurotic, and suggested that our societies set up a “neurosis of health.” What do you think he meant by that? Do you think that society is unhealthy, and adapting to a sick society makes us depressed, anxious and off balanced?
In this assignment, you will explore attachment in depth and discuss variants in attachment based on parenting style, gender, and culture.
Watch segments 1-4 of “Classic Studies in Psychology,” located in this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
Write a 700-word paper that addresses the following:
- Define attachment.
- What behaviors in children are associated with being securely attached?
- What behaviors in children are associated with being insecurely attached: avoidant, disorganized, and resistant?
- What are the short- and long-term effects of secure attachment?
- How can a caregiver foster secure attachment?
- What are some cultural differences in how parents foster attachment in their children?