Adjustment disorders are quite common and potentially very serious because they have been linked to suicide ideation, planned and completed suicide. Consider the important issues of mental status examination and differential diagnosis.
- What are the differences and similarities among adjustment disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and acute stress disorder?
- What are the essential areas that encompass a thorough mental status examination?
- Explain the steps you would take in evaluating symptoms. How would you arrive at a differential diagnosis?
Post your responses in a minimum of 300 words. By Saturday Today
Assignment 2: RA: Diagnostic Formulation
Review the case given below case study (Psychological Evaluation for Jessica E. Smith) for this required assignment (RA). On the basis of the information in the case study, provide a principal (primary) and a secondary diagnosis for the person using the most recent DSM codes. You will also discuss your diagnoses in narrative (paragraph) form. Then, identify and discuss at least one differential (possible alternate) diagnosis for the principal diagnosis and at least one differential (possible alternate) diagnosis for the secondary diagnosis that you gave. Lastly, discuss whether a diagnosis from other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention is warranted.
While you are welcome to list medical conditions that might be a concern, your primary and secondary diagnoses should be psychological conditions listed in DSM-5.
Your paper should have separate sections for:
- Principal and secondary diagnoses
- The reasons for selecting the principal and secondary diagnoses
- Social and cultural factors that may influence the principal and secondary diagnoses
- Differential diagnoses, including a consideration of whether a diagnosis from other conditions are applicable
- The reasons for selecting the differential diagnoses
- Your rationale and justification for why your actual diagnoses are a better fit than your differential diagnoses
Include citations and references in APA style. Your paper should be 5–7 pages in length.
Click here to read the case study (Psychological Evaluation for Jessica E. Smith).
Assignment 3: Schizophrenia
Individuals suffering from schizophrenia may engage in violent behavior, which might cause them to become involved in the legal system. What are the overall symptoms of schizophrenia, and which of these symptoms might contribute most to violent behavior? Also, should an individual with schizophrenia who has a history of violent behavior be forced to take medication? Why or why not?
Post your responses in a minimum of 300 words.
Assignment 4: Diagnostic Case Reports
Click here to go to the Faces of Abnormal Psychology website. There, you will see twelve different disorders listed. For this module, view the following disorders:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Paranoid Schizophrenia
After clicking a disorder, click the Diagnostic Overview tab in the left column. This will cover the major diagnostic features of the disorder. After that, click the DSM-5Features tab. You can then go though the Case History, Interview, and Treatment sections on the website. Finally, in the Assessment section, you can complete an optional multiple-choice quiz. You have to write a case report for each case study. You should use the format provided on the web page. There is a sample report that you can also view by clicking the link in the upper-right corner.
The format for the sample report is as follows:
- Outline the major symptoms of this disorder.
- Briefly outline the client’s background (age, race, occupations, etc.).
- Describe any factors in the client’s background that might predispose him or her to this disorder.
- Describe any symptoms that you have observed that support the diagnosis. You can include direct quotes or behaviors that you may have observed.
- Describe any symptoms or behaviors that are inconsistent with the diagnosis.
- Provide any information that you have about the development of this disorder.
- Did you observe any evidence of general medical conditions that might contribute to the development of this disorder?
- Did you observe any evidence of psychosocial and environmental problems that might contribute to this disorder?
- As per your observations, what is the client’s overall level of safety regarding potential harm to self or others (suicidality or homicidality)?
- What cross-cultural issues, if any, affect the differential diagnosis?
- In your opinion, what are the appropriate short-term goals of this intervention?
- In your opinion, what are the appropriate long-term goals of this intervention?
- Which therapeutic strategy seems the most appropriate in this case? Why?
- Which therapeutic modality seems the most appropriate in this case? Why?
Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethi