COURSE WORK ONE
Coursework one requires student to produce two, one thousand word reflective assignments. Each assignment must address at least one of the areas identified by the NMC e.g. communication, compassion etc. The word limit suggests one area per essay would be best. It may be reasonable to address the same topic in both essays as a comparative study but this must be approved by a lecturer before commencing the work and must demonstrate extensive development of the theme.
Each of these assignments should investigate an area of nursing outside of the domain for which the student is training. Adult nurses may select from mental health nursing, childrens nursing, maternity care, care of the elderly or learning disabilities. Mental health nurses clearly must choose anything other than mental health. Learning disabilities is an option available for mental health students.
A reflective model should be demonstrated and be used to structure the work. Accordingly, these assignments should emphasise the first person singular (‘I’ statements) rather than the detached third person analytical expressions usually associated with academic work in Nursing. Since both assignments will be submitted as one unit of work it is unnecessary to replicate the chosen reflective model in both essays,- indeed marks may be lost for unnecessary repetition. A tip is to offer the reflective model as a precursor to both reflective accounts. Each reflective analysis account thus becomes a derivative of the common descriptive stem (the reflective model).
The reflections, regardless of the model used, should account for the Affective, Cognitive and Behavioural elements of the experience being analysed. Emphasis is on analysis rather than description of the event and the marks will be awarded accordingly. This assignment though is a ‘Pass or Fail’ exercise.
Examples of previous assignments include;-
• Communicating with a learning disabled client relating to their diet,
• Expressing compassion to relatives of a dying child
• Explaining a pre-operative checklist to a non-English speaking patient.
• Administering an injection for the first time
• Undertaking a wound dressing for the first time
• Bathing a member of the opposite gender.
• Communicating with distressed and angry relatives
• Delivering a patient summary at staff shift handover.
THINGS NOT TO DO:-
a) BROADENING PERSPECTIVE EXPERIENCES
• Put yourself into a dangerous situation;- avoid war zones and areas of civil unrest / conflict. Also consult with local supervising personnel about safety issues.
• Depend on the University for expenses or other financial support
• Work in isolation or unsupervised
• Engage with vulnerable service users
• Try to cover all of the NMC requirements in all of the essays / reflections. One subject per assignment will suffice.
• Respect the needs of all patients, clients, service users and service providers.
• Investigate the organisation NOT the clients
• Provide details of your proposed experience to lecturers BEFORE embarking upon it.
• Produce your posters to demonstrate and validate your activities
• Record your experiences in your portfolio
b) COURSE WORK 1
• Identify individuals or organisations either directly or by implication unless they either agree to it or they are a public body… and even then discuss this with lecturers before writing.
• Try to accommodate all of the areas of nursing in all of the assignments. One per assignment will suffice.
• Offer only superficial description;- you must investigate and analyse deeply in order to pass these essays.
• Be late with your submission
• Analyse and criticise
• Discuss the work with lecturers as required
First 1000 words essay
Use Gibbs reflective module to reflect how communication is been implemented in maternity service. I have selected the use of an interpreter as a mode of communication with a woman with limited English. Please use Harvard style referencing and UK research
Second 1000 words essay
Use Gibbs reflective module to reflect on how safeguarding is been implement in maternity service. I have selected a woman undergoing domestic abuse. Please adapt every part of it to the uk.
FACULTY OF SOCIETY AND HEALTH
GENERIC ASSESSMENT CRITERIA Society & Health: LEVEL 7