In writing your Team Report # 3 you will be dealing with the Human Development Indicators, as developed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). On special interest are the Statistical Annex, which provides the statistical tables, and the Technical Notes, which explain how the indices are calculated. Tables 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 of the Statistical Annex of the 2020 Human Development Report provide the composite measures.
Assignment: Using the 2020 Human Development Report, your team will write a report in which you are going to compare two countries with similar HDI (remember that similar does not imply equal, but close to each other). The comparison will be made in terms of the five Human Development Indicators: Human Development Index (HDI), Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index (IHDI), Gender Inequality Index (GII), the Gender-related Development Index (GDI), and the Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI).
NOTE: Be aware that not all data will be available for all countries so that before proceeding you have to verify that all the five indices are available for the two countries you have chosen to compare. Your selected country may include information for the five indices, but if it does not, then you have to select another two countries.
Your team report should address the following issues:
- Explain your rationale for the selection of countries used for the comparison [one of the two countries could be the one your team has selected to analyze in the course, provided it has the information for the five indices, in particular, the Multidimensional Poverty Index].
- How two countries with similar HDI can achieve different results?
- How the two countries compare in terms of the components of HDI (use Table 1 of the 2020 Report)?
- What has been the trend in terms of HDI for your selected countries (use Table 2 of the 2020 Report)?
- How the two countries compare in terms of the components of the other indices: IHDI, GII, GDI, MPI? (Use Tables 3-4-5-6 of the 2020 Report).
- In particular, how women compare to men in terms of the components of the GII index and the GDI?
Use 3-4 Bibliography, references, and internet sources. Also, write the conclusion in the end.
The Human Development Reports can be accessed at http://hdr.undp.org/en/