Long term care.
Nursing Home and Subacute Care
During the nineteenth and the twentieth century, the term “nursing home” was synonymous with long-term care. Although today the exclusive use of the term “long-term care” is no longer accurate for nursing homes, it continues to remain and will not change easily. However, newer terms such as “nursing facilities” will help clarify the role of specific long-term care organizations and will differentiate them from others in the health care industry.
Subacute care is a relatively new but rapidly growing medical service in the continuum of care. Today, it is considered the fastest growing segment of the health care delivery system.
Research the online references such as EBSCOhost, SocINDEX, Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL), or PubMed for information on nursing facilities and subacute units and respond to the following questions:
- Do you agree with the change in the terminology of nursing homes to nursing facilities? Why or why not? How do the terms relate with each other?
- What impact does the historical perspective of the nursing home have on the stigma related to the quality of care?
- How were nursing facilities developed? What have been the consequences of the change in terminology? Do you think the change in terminology will impact the quality of care in the future? If yes, how? If no, why?
- What changes do you see nursing homes making in the future in order to keep up with the ever changing needs of the demographics of seniors?
- What are subacute units? How did subacute care emerge? What are the strengths and limitations of the emergence of subacute care in long-term care as related to issues in levels of patients’ acuity (various levels of nursing care based on the needs of patients)? Support your answer with relevant examples.
- What is the impact of subacute care on the cost and quality of care? Do you think subacute care needs to be an integral component of hospitals, or should it be an integral part of the long-term care system? Provide a rationale for your answer.
Based on your learning about nursing home care and subacute care, compare their funding, staffing, regulation, and marketing
Long-Term Care Facilities: Services, Successes, and Failures
Many services are available to help seniors stay in their homes. These services are increasing in popularity as more seniors are choosing community care over institutionalized care. Two main services that assist seniors in this area are adult day care and home health care.
Find out an adult day care and a home health care in your vicinity or using the Internet and create a 1- to 2-page report summarizing their services offered, successes, and failures.
Based on the knowledge gained from your research, respond to the following questions:
- Adult day care programs began more like a social model; however, over time, they have developed as a medical model. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Adult day care is being described as gap filler between institutional and noninstitutional care? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- What population comprises the largest group receiving care in adult day care programs? Why?
- Do you think receiving patients with more medical problems has impacted adult day care services? Why? How has this effected staffing?
- Which success factor has had the greatest impact on the cost-effectiveness of health care services? How?
- What impact has home health care had on the quality of life for consumers? Provide examples to support your answer.
Is there a time when home health care and adult day care is no longer appropriate for a senior? What criteria are used to establish this?
Human resource Assignment 1.
An accounting firm has just contacted your consulting business for assistance. They want to hire someone to do accounting and payroll. The bookstore is downstairs, while the office is upstairs in an older building. The essential functions of the job include operating a computer, maintaining a ledger, providing the owner with financial statements, completing tax returns, paying bills and employees, and balancing the bank statements. The desk for this is at the top of a flight of 24 steps. There is no elevator, and the building is too old to be ADA compliant. The firm is struggling financially, but hopes to increase sales as a new coffee shop just opened next door. The most qualified applicant to their advertisement has just come into the bookstore in a wheelchair.
Summarize your consulting recommendations to the accounting firm. Be sure to discuss whether this candidate is capable of performing the essential functions of this job from a wheelchair. Analyze the issue of reasonable accommodation. What does the law say? Could the employer make a reasonable accommodation here to hire the best candidate for this job? How could they do that considering their tight finances?
Find a court case on ADA that has reached a verdict, how did the court case interpret the law as written? How might that outcome provide any insight or application to the discussion scenario or to reasonable accommodation, in general?
Human Resource Assignment 2.
As the Chief Human Resource Officer of Community State University, you have just been contacted by your legal team. They informed you that your organization has been selected to undergo a Federal I-9 audit. You decided to do a spot check on 5 random departments and noticed that numerous I-9’s were filled out incorrectly. You only have one month before the auditors arrive to do an entire I-9 audit on over 100 departments and the president of the university expects a strategic update on how to tackle this issue in 2 days.
For the first part of your post, describe the immigration forms and documents needed to apply for a job. Research and review an I-9 Form and describe the documents that you would produce to establish legal U.S. status.
For the second part of your post, recommend a plan of action to correct the deficient forms described in the scenario above. In your discussion, analyze whether the I-9 Form and other documents are enough to establish legal status in the U.S. and are adequate protection for employers.
For the third part of your post, justify one additional safeguard that could be added to protect the employer from unknowingly hiring an illegal immigrant.